University of Dundee students can receive free and confidential advice from our advice team.

What we can do for you

  • Explain your rights and responsibilities as a tenant
  • Lease checks
  • Give advice on your landlord’s rights and responsibilities
  • Help with inventory and deposits
  • Give advice on repair issues
  • Answer questions on any other housing matters

DUSA Housing Book

Download our PDF booklet to read more about the services we offer and find answers to commonly asked questions.

Our Guides To Renting In Dundee

Getting to Know Dundee

A Guide To Council Tax

Signing A Tenancy Agreement

Viewing Property Safely

Being A Responsible Tenant

Find Student Accommodation In Dundee

DUSA Housing – Facebook Page

DUSA Housing was created to give University of Dundee students a place where they could look for or advertise a room to rent. This page is run and managed by DUSA for University of Dundee students.

Please note that only the University of Dundee students or prospective students can place an advert.
To ensure only students are using this service:

  • All students must provide their matriculation number prior to the advert being published on DUSA Housing.
  • All students must email their advert from their University of Dundee email address.

Before placing an advert please read our terms and conditions.

For more information or to place an advert email advice@dusa.co.uk from your dundee.ac.uk email account.

Student Pads

Get alerts emailed to you when student accommodation, houses and flats come available in Dundee & Abertay.

Marks Out of Tenancy

Marks Out Of Tenancy provides reviews and ratings for landlords, letting agents, rental properties and neighbourhoods.

Living in Dundee FAQ

Where can I find a private rented flat in Dundee?

You can find properties for rent advertised in local letting agents, the press and websites such as DUSA Housing and Gumtree.

Where can I advertise to find a flat mate?

Visit DUSA Housing to place a free advert if you are looking for a flat mate or a room to rent.

What is the role of a letting agent?

Letting agencies are private companies that can help you find private rented accommodation that suits you. Most agencies also manage the day-to-day running of the tenancy.

Can I leave my tenancy early?

A tenancy agreement is a legally binding document and once signed, you are bound by its terms.  ‘If you have a Private Residential Tenancy you should be able to give 28 days notice in writing (unless you have agreed otherwise with your landlord). If you are a joint tenant and your flatmates do not wish to leave you will have to negotiate with them and your landlord to be able to leave early.

For more information about your rights and responsibilities, email advice@dusa.co.uk

How much deposit can a landlord/agent charge?

A landlord/agent can charge up to two months’ rent as a deposit.

What is a joint tenancy?

A joint tenancy is a tenancy where all tenants sign the same agreement and are “joint and severally liable”. This means you are all equally responsible for paying the rent and keeping to the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Does the University of Dundee offer family accommodation?

The Residences DO NOT offer family accommodation. For more information please contact advice@dusa.co.uk

Do I need a guarantor?

Guarantors are not a legal requirement however some landlords/agents insist on having a guarantors agreement in place.

Make sure your landlord provides a guarantors agreement which states the total amount liable for.  If you have a joint tenancy, a guarantor could be held liable for all tenants.

Will I get my deposit back at the end of my tenancy?

Tenancy deposits are taken to cover any damage to the property or unpaid bills.  Tenancy deposits should not be kept to cover “wear and tear” damage.

For more information on getting your deposit back, email advice@dusa.co.uk

Do I have to pay Council Tax if I am a student?

As a full time student you may be able to get a reduction or exemption on your Council Tax.

A 100% exemption can be awarded if the property is wholly occupied by students.

A 25% discount can be awarded is all but one of the adults living in the property are students.

Visit the Dundee City Council Website for more information.

Do I need contents insurance?

Contents insurance is insurance that pays for damage to, or loss of, an individual’s personal possessions while they are located within that individual’s home.

Your landlord is responsible for ensuring that buildings insurance is in place.

It is the tenants responsibility to ensure that contents insurance is in place

What type of tenancy do I have?

Since December 2017 the most common type of tenancy is the Private Residential tenancy (PRT). If you have lived in your property since before then you may still have a Short Assured Tenancy. However if you live in purpose built student accommodation through a private company or the university or with your landlord, you will be a common law tenant..

Use the Shelter Scotland tenancy checker to see what type of tenancy you have.

Can my landlord or agent enter the property?

48 hours written notice should be given prior to the landlord/agent entering your property except in an emergency They cannot use any retained keys to access the property eithout your permission.

Don't Be Shy. Get In Touch!

If you are interested in anything we do, send us an inquiry and we will get back to you as soon as we can