Register with a GP
You can find your nearest GPs, pharmacies, and dentists on the NHS Inform website or by telephoning NHS 24 on 111.
When you have chosen a GP just go in and ask to register (be prepared to try one or two different medical centres as sometimes their lists may be full and therefore they may be unable to register you at that time). You will need to take three forms of identification:
- a passport
- matriculation card
- documentation with your Dundee address on it
University of Dundee Health Service
Your University provide information and offer support and guidance about your health. Visit the University of Dundee Health site for more information.
Health Tips for Students
- In Scotland prescriptions are free.
- Many adults over the age of 18 have to pay for NHS dental treatment – NHS charges are set by the Scottish Government. If you have to pay for dental work, you can ask your dentist how much it will cost before your treatment begins.
- You can get your eyes examined free of charge by any optometrist in Scotland who provides NHS services.
Meningitis – University students up to the age of 25 are offered the MEN ACWY vaccine. The MEN ACWY vaccine can protect you from four causes of meningitis and septicaemia. Just pop into your GP and ask for the Men ACWY vaccine.
Flu Jab – If you take inhaled steroids and asthma it is highly advised that you get the annual flu vaccination. Visit your GP for more information.
COVID-19 – The coronavirus vaccine is free to everyone in Scotland. People aged 18 to 49 will be invited to get their first dose of the coronavirus vaccine by the end of July, depending on vaccine supply.
Those aged 18 to 29 years old on (and including) 31 July 2021 will be invited forward next.
ISE – Healthy Body, Healthy Mind
We work together with the ISE – Sports Union, the university health service and student services on a whole range of activities and projects with the aim of bringing about practical changes across the whole institution. We want our campus to be a healthier and happier one!
- A boost of happy endorphins
- Lots of quality sleep
- Reduction in stress and anxiety
- Improved brainpower
- Improved self-esteem and confidence
How can sport or exercise help?
- Physical activity 3 times a week can cut your chances of getting depression by about 20%
- 30 mins x 5 a week = Best way to get the most out of sessions of moderate physical activity
- 85% of participants in a study said exercise was ‘helpful’ in alleviating mental health issues
Visit the ISE Gym
STIs are something you should always be mindful of and consistently take the necessary precautions to protect yourself from. It is also very important that you maintain regular sexual checkups, and get tested whenever you have concerns or have put yourself at risk.
Local services include Ninewells Sexual Health Clinic, Terrence Higgins Trust Scotland, and The Corner (Under 25s only) they each offer sexual health and HIV testing.
Terrence Higgins Trust Scotland
Ninewells Hospital Sexual Health Clinic
- Ninewells Hospital Sexual Health Clinic: Ninewells, Dundee DD2, UK
- Terrence Higgins Trust: Swan House, 2 Explorer Rd, Dundee, DD2 1GB
- The Corner: 13 Shore Terrace, Dundee, DD1 3DP
- Kirkcaldy: Whytemans Brae Hospital, Whyteman’s Brae KY1 2ND
Free HIV Test Postal Service
Terrence Higgins Trust also offer a free and discrete HIV home sampling postal service for anyone over 16 and living in Scotland.
Local Support Off Campus
Sexual Health Tayside
MOT (Men Only Tayside)
The Corner (For Under 25s)
Sexual Health Scotland
Contraceptives at DUSA
At DUSA we provide:
Condoms in all sizes
Flavoured oral dams
Advice on finding STI testing in Dundee
Condoms Given Away Every Year at DUSA
Mental Health Facts and Figures
The University Health Service consists of a medical adviser (doctor) and a mental health nurse who can offer advice, support and counselling. Find out more about the support your university can offer you.
More ways to look after your mental health
Colouring in’s a great stress reliever
DUSA has teamed up with DJCAD students to produce a stress busting colouring book on Dundee. Keep a look out for the book during the year. Here’s a little taster for you to download and colour.